Tales from Cravant

Tales from Cravant
A Cravant View

Sunday, July 7, 2013

The two Ps (P's): Press and Politics

These days two very dodgy words and concepts - the press and politics. Both have been a major part of daily living and career, at least for me. I was having a discussion with Mike this morning, about the correct way of writing two letter ps. P's or Ps. I'm going with p's for now. Interestingly, working just on the sound of two letter p's in French, meaning p p, it comes out as pipi (one word), meaning to go for a pee. Devaluation of press and politics being at the level it is, pipi is a rather appropriate. Made me smile and reminded me of touring with a French theatre company, who were constantly on the look for somewhere to faire pipi. 

Have always enjoyed reading political mags, a variety whenever possible, to get a real idea of current thinking, rather just reading the stuff I know I'm going to agree with.  I have a couple posted to France, because I want to keep in touch with what's happening the other side of the channel. I really prefer reading the hard copy, rather than quickly scrutinising the web. So another love/dislike relationship as with books and the Kindle. Need both in my life.  

UK media is one thing but French media is something else, which I'm just starting to get to grips with. Newspapers are readily available and there's still a reasonable choice.  Le Monde et Le Figaro are two that most people know. Le Monde is centre left and Le Figaro centre right. So cut and dried! There are others that are regarded as left, left-wing, far-left and communist, whereas the alternatives are all described as centre right. Can't find anything described as right, right-wing, far-right or fascist. 

Two publications that I've just found out about are Le Canard enchaîné, created in 1915 and Mediapart, created by the former editor-in-chief of Le Monde in 2008.  For some time, particularly during the de Gaulle and Mitterand periods, and seemingly apart from Le Canard enchaîné (regarded as far-left),  investigative journalism was effectively put on hold. Now along with Mediapart, these two independents seem to be having an impact and are really shaking things up. Both survive by subscription fees and are advertisement free. Mediapart as part of a multi-pronged strategy launched Frenchleaks - inspired of course by Wikipedia.

I have loads to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment