Tales from Cravant

Tales from Cravant
A Cravant View

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Visiting the hairdresser

Finding a decent hairdresser has proved a challenge both sides of the channel. I'm a picky Londoner at least when it comes to my hair. Or rather, to be kinder on myself, fairer even, I'd got used to being looked after by an award winning cutter for over twenty years when we were living in Pinner,  and found it impossible to ignore the difference in standard since we moved away. That is until just recently. For those living near Pinner, D&J Ambrose are still there and still winning awards. 

Mike doesn't have the same issues to face when it comes to his hair. He sports a reversed mohican. Those of you who know him or are a FB friend will have seen this first hand, or from his photo. My hair is more complicated and not just because I'm a girl. Over the years, I've done everything imaginable to it, and from an early age. Remarkably it has survived, although the purple incident did cause some alarm. I think I was around fifteen and for some reason my mother was meeting me at Eastbourne station. Don't know where I'd been. Years later she told me that she saw a purple apparition coming towards her and was hoping desperately, that it wasn't me. IT had purple hair, matching full length purple trench coat and purple boots - trendy ones that at the time, had platform heels and were from some ghastly ruched man-made material. It was me of course, but all credit to her, my mother held her ground!    I have moved on. Now my hair is black. 

When we moved from London to Bradford on Avon, what was my priority? Finding a hairdresser. I won't mention names to avoid being sued! There are several in town, but I'd heard that this particular one was 'probably' best. My hair is thick but fine and needs precise cutting. So why I continued going to the same place for three years, I do not know. Cutting wasn't a strong point. Neither was blow drying. Washing the hair wasn't too bad an experience. Only mild dampness was involved. Fortunately a good friend, Sue, told me about Jim who owns The Cavern in Bath: T 01225 464780.  Not only is he an excellent cutter, it's such fun going in. A galley shape and sized salon - small therefore, but perfect in what they do. The team are great. My hair had been so hacked about, that it took four visits to get the mess sorted out. Now for the last year it's been looking really good. To the extent that the hairdresser I have started going to over here in Chinon, commented on what a good cut I had and how it made things so easy for him. I passed this message on to Jim via Sue, and by all accounts he was delighted. Jerome is also a good cutter. Really nice place and team, with a particular chair that gives you a vibrating back massage while the conditioner is left to work its magic. Yes...............................wake me up!! 
So I'm sorted in both countries. 
Phew!
  










2 comments: